There are practical ways that we can implement to protect our family members from food poisoning. Yet, food poisoning can still happen. Because of that, as parents, we need to be on the lookout for signs to detect that our kids may have food poisoning.
Early detection can prompt us to get urgent care to you in Kitsap County, Washington. Here is a list of the signs of food poisoning in young children that you should be on the lookout for:
- Weakness or lethargy
- Persistent crying or drawn up knees (fetal position in older children)
- Loose bowel movements
Our children may be unable to fully explain to us what is wrong with them. For that, we need to be proactive about these signs so, and should they develop, you can call up for a mobile clinic for immediate assistance. So how do we know that our little ones are already in need of urgent care due to food poisoning? These are the indicators that should prompt immediate evaluation of your sick child:
- If your child has frequent vomiting. Vomiting should always be evaluated in a child who has not stopped after 12 hours.
- If your child has diarrhea or loose bowel movements accompanied by a fever at a temperature of at least 100.5 F.
- Your child continues to have abdominal pain that is not relieved after a bowel movement.
- If you notice the appearance of blood on their poop or their vomit.
- If your child’s feces are black or maroon in color.
- If your toddler’s heartbeat is faster than usual.
As parents, we are naturally extra vigilant about our child’s health and wellness. So when your instincts tell you that something is wrong with them, get help right away. Your children are likely more comfortable in the safety of your own home, especially when they aren’t feeling well. Our mobile doctors at Housecall MD based out of Silverdale, Washington can provide health care to all of Kitsap County.
Keep our number on your emergency contact list! Get in touch today!